Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Acrylic Landscape Painting

   I particularly enjoyed this project because I knew from the start exactly what the composition of the project was going to be. A few weeks before the project, I took a trip to the mountains. While I was there I took a photograph of the mountains from our deck. The layout of the mountains in the photo was perfect to incorporate into the painting, and I added an ocean in front of the mountains to add something special to the painting. The view is seen from a grassy area looking out at the mountains. When picking a color scheme, I used an analogous color scheme to portray the original colors as best as I could. 
   You can see in the picture below that the farther objects are viewed from a distance, the more the color changes. This is an example of atmospheric perspective, which is the effect the atmosphere has on an object as it is seen from a distance. When I was painting objects that were at a greater distance, I added more white to the original color. This adds a hazy effect to the atmosphere. When I was painting the sky, I had to decide where to place the sun. You can see in the displayed picture that there is an area in the sky that is lighter than the rest. This area is where I placed the sun behind the clouds. 
   In class we learned how to paint using brush strokes that displayed different textures. For the grass I used small, upward brush strokes. When painting the sky I used long, horizontal strokes. In order to add value to this, I used the same stoking method but adding different amounts of blue and white to the sky. The same method of adding value was used in painting the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment