Monday, October 28, 2013

Sticky Situation/Repetition Project

    For this project, I took the idea of "Sticky Situation" and applied it to Henry Selick's movie "Coraline" (which is my all time favorite movie). In order to make this relevant to the piece that I wanted to do, I had to twist the plot a little to correctly portray the idea of a sticky situation. In the plot of Coraline, this 'other mother' is plotting to sew buttons on Coraline's eyes and eat her, yet Coraline manages to escape this fate. In my piece, the sticky situation is that the 'other mother' actually DID succeed in sewing buttons onto Coraline's eyes. I would say that I was required to think outside the box when creating this piece, due to the fact that I had to alter the plot of a completely different situation in order for it to work with my idea. Repetition was applied through the background, with the repeating deep green and purple stripes (which is actually a background used in the film).
    I used acrylic paint on a canvas in order to achieve my piece, which was good all around for me I'd say. Mostly because I am literally terrible at watercolors, and I have experience with acrylic paints, because I work on acrylic landscape paintings on my own time. One of my favorite things about acrylic paints is that it can be easily reapplied to an area that you painted improperly. You can add layers upon layers of acrylic paint. Acrylic paint was also a successful choice for this piece because in the film "Coraline", the colors are very solid because of its cartoon-like appearance. Acrylic paint provides very pigmented color choices which makes it easier to paint block colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment